External Conferences & EventsThis area contains information and links to non-CSQTC conference, workshop, courses and other educational activities which could be of interest for GP Registrars, PGPPP Junior Doctors, GP Trainers, Practice staff and some may also be suitable for those interested in pursuing a career in general practice.
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Rural Doctors Association of Queensland (RDAQ) Conference 2013, 7-9 June 2013, Mackay Qld
- The RDAQ Conference for 2013 will be held at the Mackay Entertainment and Convention Centre in Mackay, North Queensland. For further information about the conference please go to http://conference.rdaq.com.au/.
Remote Medical Education Conference (RMEC), 28-29 June 2013, Brisbane Qld
- RMEC13 will be held at the Sofitel Hotel in Brisbane. The conference will provide a forum for discussing the factors influencing the education of doctors practicing in rural and remote areas of Australia and overseas. The conference will explore how the educational needs of remotely-located doctors can be addressed depending upon location and cultural context, while considering the role that new technology plays in the delivery and enhancement of learning. To find out more about the conference visit the RMEC 2013 website.
- The Primary Health Care (PHC) Research Conference is being held 10-12 July 2013 at the Hilton Sydney, NSW. The theme, "Allies for better primary health care", acknowledges that a network of allies is necessary to ensure a coordinated, strong and sustainable primary health care system. The theme is the reference point for presenters to report on ways in which their research has made, and will continue to make, a difference to the policy, practice, sustainability and outcomes of health care in Australia. Early bird registration closes 17 May 2013. GP Registrars can access the GP Registrar group rate - contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the registration code. Further information regarding the PHCRC and registration can be found on the Conference website.
Australian Medical Students Association (AMSA), National Convention 7-14 July 2013, Gold Coast Qld
- The AMSA National Convention for 2013 will be held at the Gold Coast Convention and Entertainment Centre at Broadbeach on Queensland's Gold Coast. To find out more about the AMSA National Convention, visit the Convention website.
Health Informatics Society of Australia (HISA), 15-18 July 2013, Adelaide SA
- The Health Informatics Society of Australia (HISA) is holding the Health Informatics Conference (HIC) 15 July - 18 July 2013 in Adelaide at the Adelaide Convention Centre, with the primary theme of Digital Health Service Delivery - The Future Is Now! The Call for Papers is now open, and closes on Monday 18 February 2013. For more information please visit the website http://www.hisa.org.au/page/hic2013/
Leaders in Indigenous Medical Education (LIME) Network, 26-28 August 2013, Darwin NT
- LIME Connection V, will be held in Darwin, Australia 26 - 28 August, 2013. The theme for this year’s Connection is 'Re-imagining Indigenous Health Education: Harnessing Energy, Implementing Evidence, Creating Change'. The Connection will provide an opportunity to discuss and critique current practices and explore emerging tools and techniques to drive improvement in outcomes for Indigenous health, and aims to encourage information sharing, professional development, capacity-building and networking amongst peers. The Call for Papers is open now and closes 29 March 2013. Visit the website for further information
St George Medical Weekend 6-8 September 2013, St George Qld
- The biennial St George Medical Weekend (previously known as the St George Post Grad Conference) is set to take place again this year, from 6 to 8 September 2013. This event provides the opportunity for rural up-skilling with high quality sessions provided by medical practitioners who are experts in their fields. The event is suitable for any level of medical practitioner with an interest in rural medicine. Previous Registrar and Junior Doctor attendees of this event reported that the it answered many of their questions about rural medicine and their expectations were exceeded, and they gained further insight into the scope, rewards and challenges of rural medicine. Further details can be obtained from Dr Pam Turnock email@example.com.
General Practice Education and Training (GPET) Convention 2013, 11-12 September 2013, Perth WA
- The GPET Convention for 2013 will be held at the Crown Perth. Further information will be available on the AGPT website over the coming months.
Health Professionals' Health Conference, 3-5 October 2013, Brisbane Qld
- The Doctors’ Health Advisory Service Queensland [DHAS (Q)], in conjunction with AMA Queensland, is pleased to announce the Health Professionals’ Health Conference (HPHC) 2013, 3-5 October 2013 at the Sofitel Hotel, Brisbane. The theme for this year’s event is "Caring for you; caring for others". Participants will gain a greater appreciation of the importance of managing their health. The conference aims to empower those working in health professions to be resilient leaders in health care for the future. Recognising that doctors and other health professionals share similar challenges and experiences, this conference is an opportunity for inter-professional learning for the benefit of all. Abstract submissions close 26 April 2013 and registrations are now open (early bird rates until 12 July 2013). For further information on the Conference please visit the website http://www.hphc2013.com.au/.
RACGP Annual Conference GP13, 17-19 October 2013, Darwin NT
- The RACGP's Annual Conference 'GP13' will be held in Darwin, Northern Territory. Further information will be available on the RACGP website over the coming months.
ACRRM & RDAA Annual Conference RMA 2013, 31 October - 2 November 2013, Cairns Qld
- The Australia College of Rural and Remote Medicine and Rural Doctors Association of Australia, Annual Conference 'Rural Medicine Australia 2013' will be held in Cairns, Queensland. Further information will be available on the Conference website over the coming months.
18th National Prevocational Medical Education Forum, 3-6 November 2013, Adelaide SA
- The 2013 National Prevocational Medical Education Forum "Building the Future: Quality, Capacity, Creativity" will be held in Adelaide, SA. For further information visit http://www.prevocationalforum2013.com.au/
National Indigenous Health Conference, 25-27 November 2013, Cairns Qld
- The 2013 National Indigenous Health Conference "Many Pathways One Outcome" is designed to bring together both government and non-government agencies who are working in the field of Indigenous health with the belief that working together can close the gap between the state of Indigenous Health as compared to the health of mainstream Australians. The 2013 National Indigenous Health Conference which will be held at Pullmans Cairns International Hotel in Cairns, Queensland. Registration is now open. Please visit the conference website for more information.
Links to Organisations with Events of InterestAustralian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM)
Refer to the ACRRM website for full listings of their courses and events.
Health Workforce Queensland (HWQ)
HWQ provides access to quality medical education and training opportunities for Queensland Rural Doctors. Information about their workshops can be found on the Health Workforce Queensland website.
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) Conferences and Events
Refer to the RACGP website for full listings of their conferences, events, workshops, courses, CPD activites. These events are also sorted by state/territory. This website also lists non RACGP conferences which might be of interest.
Rural Health Education Foundation (RHEF) - Rural Health Channel
The Rural Health Channel is the first nationally available free-to-air health TV channel. It began broadcasting on the 21 May 2012. The Rural Health Channel (RHC 600) will broadcast Rural Health Education Foundation professionally accredited programs as well as health education information and programs from other providers such as government, professional organisations and health associations. The channel will be on-air up to 24 hours per week; with sessions on weekday afternoons (1.30-3.30pm) and weekday evenings (7.30-9.30pm) and a late afternoon session on Sundays (4.30-6pm). You can view more information about the RHC at http://www.rhef.com.au/rhc/ and the RHC weekly TV Guide for each state and territory is easily accessible at http://www.rhef.com.au/rhcguide/.