Starting your first active training placement
- It is an AGPT expectation that (barring exceptional circumstances) GP Registrars commence training at the beginning of the training year for which they have applied for entry, in the geographic area of the Regional Training Provider with whom they have accepted an AGPT place. In exceptional circumstances, a Registrar may be approved to commence training within 3 months of that date.
- This means that GP Registrars accepting a training place with CSQTC will be expected to commence training:
- Applicants to CSQTC who wish to commence their training in general practice terms, and who are prepared to consider a wide range of training locations from all over our region, including rural, remote, metropolitan, and outer metropolitan locations, can be confident that they will be able to commence training in a general practice setting. Those who are restricted in the locations where they want to train, should ensure they have a back up plan, such as a hospital job, as GP placements in specific locations cannot be guaranteed.
- Applications for AGPT are competitive and there is no guarantee that an applicant will be successful in gaining a place. All Applicants to AGPT should ensure that they have applied for hospital jobs, or have a back up plan for the following year, in the event that they are unsuccessful in gaining a place.
- Training cannot commence with a period of leave except in the following circumstances:
- parental leave;
- deferral of entry due to the need to undertake preparatory work as determined by CSQTC*;
- unexpected ill health; or
- discretionary leave is formally granted by CSQTC.
Exceptional circumstances may prevent a GP Registrar from commencing training at the required time as a result of unforeseen circumstances or because the GP Registrar has been assessed as requiring essential preparatory education prior to commencement of training. Where deferral of commencement of training is sought by a GP Registrar, CSQTC will consider each matter on a case-by-case basis, in line with GPET policy.